Thursday 10 March 2016

woven wonder

During my big tidy up, I found a few little things that sparked joy that I put up on our wall and they are starting to look really nice. In our sitting room corner my crochet wall hanging hangs alone still, but I was not feeling very inspired to do any crochet and I decided this was the time to have a go at some weaving! I have seen so many of these amazing hangings, and love them so much but it felt like a bit of a leap to have a go myself.

When I was little I used to make little cardboard looms to make little weavings – so decided to go down this tried and tested route again! I found a really nice stiff piece of cardboard and cut out a rectangle. Then I added some notches to each end. My box very handily had a dot design on it so I didn’t have to do any measuring but usually you would need to put mark along the edge so that your top notches and bottom notches match up.

weaving handmade card loomweaving handmade cardboard loom

Then I wrapped my wool around into the notches to give me all of my warp threads. Lovely!

woolapple weaving woolapple weaving

Next I started my weaving. My first plan was to keep it simple and do coloured stripes, but after doing a few rows of plain weaving I decided that I really wanted to try some of the techniques I have seen on the amazing weavings I have seen, making patterns with colours, and some textured parts. I really like the tassels! I found a wonderful online resource called the weaving loom which I recommend if you are a beginner like me - it has lots of interesting things to learn there. I had a little play around and settled into a bit of colour work. I think next time I will try some loops though.

weaving a wallhanging weaving work in progressweaving colourblocking work in progress

It was quite hard to take some work in progress pictures because it looked very messy until then end when I sewed in my ends. But then it looked really really great!

woven wallhangingwoven and crochet wallhangings

I really enjoyed this little project, something new for me.

No comments: