Friday 23 September 2011

Happy Birthday Deer Eleanor

On wednesday it was Eleanor's birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY SPECIAL FRIEND!

We had a really lovely celebration - a lovely italian meal with friends, and a little bit too much complimentary limoncello. oops.

I have been really enjoying handmaking gifts just recently. it's lovely when you give yourself lots of time. i think i was previously traumatised by a handmade christmas - but I am feeling encouraged once more.

I found some lovely soft cream wool in Yorkshire, a little while ago now, and (as Rich said it best) it is the perfect combination of Nanna and Baby which made it good for Eleanor's tastes.



I made her a scarf knitted in blackberry stitch. It's a lovely bobble effect. I will write a small lesson on blackberry stitch below - it is a nice one for scarves. I found it in my book, Mary Thomas's book of Knitting Patterns. She also recommends that it is good for jumpers, borders, hats and bags.



I wish you much warmth and comfort with this item dear friend.

Much love,
Emilia. xx

(ps. and of course there was cake - dolly mixture galore)

ps. can you tell i have been using photoshop?? perhaps a little obvious with this neon cake!!


Blackberry stitch (also known as bramble stitch and trinity stitch):
Here is how to achieve this effect (thank you Mary Thomas):

Cast on stitches in a multiple of 4 plus 4 edge stitches
(start with a wrong side row)
Row 1: k2, *(k1,p1,k1) into next stitch to make 3; pass yarn to front of work and p3tog; pass yarn back * and repeat from * to * across row until 2 stitches remain; k2
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: k2, *p3tog; (k1,p1,k1) into the next stitch* Repeat from * to * across row and k2 to finish.
Row 4: Purl

Repeat these 4 rows.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You must be really good at knitting as the scarf looks amazing, and I’m sure your friend loved it as well. Hope you guys had fun celebrating her birthday party. I’m also planning to host a party for my birthday next week. My friends are helping in making the necessary arrangements and I’ve also booked the perfect party hall at a popular convention center.